Denture is a plastic plate coupled with artificial teeth that you place inside your mouth to replace missing teeth. It is a removable item therefore stringent care is required to ensure its longevity.
How to care for dentures?
Do not wear denture to sleep.
- Wearing denture the whole day results in constant pressure on your gums and oral mucosa.
- Leaving it out allows your gums to return to its normal position and rest.
- Without denture in place, the saliva is able to perform its antibacterial effect to maintain a good oral environment.
- You are advised to leave your denture out when you are not using them.
Remember to clean the denture
Ways to clean a denture
- Hand soap alone under running water
- Hand soap with denture toothbrush
- Denture toothpaste with denture toothbrush
- If you are afraid of scratching the smooth surface of the denture with a toothbrush, you can use your fingers.
- Use denture cleaner. They come in tablet or solution form. They help remove tough- hard- to- reach stains and have antibacterial effect on dentures. Be aware that some denture cleaners are not suitable if your denture has soft liner or metal incorporated.
- If you use denture adhesives remember to clean them well and clean your gums as well.
- It is important to clean a denture on top of a sink pooled with water or thick towel to prevent breakage due to slippage.
Keep denture in water
- It is important to immerse the denture in a closed container of normal temperature water.
- Water immersion is to prevent over dryness to the denture causing the plastic to change color.
- Putting it in a closed container is to avoid dirt or any crawling insects or animal from contaminating your denture. There was one incident that a rat had picked up the denture as a grinding toy.
- Do not immerse in hot water as it would affect the plastic plate.
- Do not leave the denture under the sun.
Avoid biting on very hard food
- Denture is not as strong as our own teeth. Biting on very hard food may fracture the teeth or the plate. Examples of hard food are sugar cane, ice cubes, some type of nuts and raw fruits.
- It is better to cut hard food into small pieces and bite with your back teeth.
Place your denture inside your mouth in the correct way
- Place with both hands and put pressure with fingers to sit the denture onto your gums well.
- Do not bite the denture into place.
- Incorrect placement causes uneven forces, cracks and breakage eventually.
Routine follow up with the dentist
- It is important to see the dentists to allow them to spot any problem with the usage or the nature of the denture that may compromise your dental health.
Having a denture is to allow you to eat, speak and look better. It is important to make sure it does not cause unwanted problems besides what it is meant to do for you.
Pingback: Ways of caring for dentures | Intelligent Dental | dentures
Pingback: Types of denture cleansers and how to use them | Intelligent Dental
Pingback: 10 Ways to Stop Bad Breath | Intelligent Dental
Pingback: Clean Denture Better with Ultrasonic Denture Cleaner | Intelligent Dental
Pingback: Everything you need to know about denture | Intelligent Dental
I live in Hong Kong. Would you please advise me where can I buy the Intelligent toothpaste for my 3 years old boy ??