What is thrush in general
- Thrush is an infection caused by a yeast which is a small living fungus called candida.
- Most people have candida on their skin, in their mouths (oral thrush) , in the genital regionÂ and in their gut most of the time without having any problems from it.
- Babies and young children can get thrush in the mouth and on the skin, when occurring on the skin it is called as a nappy rash.
- Breastfeeding mothers can also get thrush on their nipples, causing pain when feeding. This is often caused by the transmission of candida from the babyâ€™s mouth to the motherâ€™s nipple or the other way round.
- Women can get thrush in the vagina, with itchiness and a discharge. Continue reading