What is thrush in general
- Thrush is an infection caused by a yeast which is a small living fungus called candida.
- Most people have candida on their skin, in their mouths (oral thrush) , in the genital region and in their gut most of the time without having any problems from it.
- Babies and young children can get thrush in the mouth and on the skin, when occurring on the skin it is called as a nappy rash.
- Breastfeeding mothers can also get thrush on their nipples, causing pain when feeding. This is often caused by the transmission of candida from the baby’s mouth to the mother’s nipple or the other way round.
- Women can get thrush in the vagina, with itchiness and a discharge. Continue reading