Dental scrap gold is fast becoming an additional resource for people wishing to sell gold. Dental scrap gold consists of any gold that has been used in the mouth and is worth more sold than kept. It can include any failed, damaged or deteriorated gold or silver crowns, any bridges, PFM’s (porcelain fused to metal), PFGâ€™s (porcelain fused to gold), Inlays, Gold Partials and more. In fact here is a list of the dental scrap including gold, silver and platinum that can be sold, and these can be with or without bone or porcelain:
- Dental Sweeps
- Gold Crowns
- Gold Bridges
- Silver Crowns
- Silver Bridges
- Platinum Crowns
- Platinum Bridges
- Palladium Crowns
- Palladium Bridges
- Mixed Precious Metal Dental Work
- PFM’s (Porcelain Fused Metal)
- PFG’s (Porcelain Fused Gold)
Sometimes you will find the gold is fused to porcelain as in PFGs. This can still be recovered and separated and most scrap gold dealers will do this.
Many people these days are making some extra money selling old gold caps, PFGs, bridges and crowns. Old teeth given to one or left to one by deceased family members, gold teeth that have fallen out. Sometimes a gold tooth can sell for around 50 dollars depending on weight and other factors. Gold for dental work is usually around 16 karat and needs to be chemically treated to leach out other metals in the alloy before it’s melted down. To get the best price out of it, you would have to monitor the gold market carefully daily. The spot price, or wholesale rate of gold, changes twice each day. This is the price that institutional investors pay for pure 24-karat gold. Monitoring the spot price on a daily basis will give you better insight as to whether it is time to buy or sell, according to market conditions. It also gives you an idea of what your profit will be when you are fixing your buy price for dental gold. You can monitor the current gold prices online at sites such as kitco.com.
While the gold may still be attached to a tooth, jewelers will hammer out the gold or if it is really firm, leave it in cola overnight to loosen it and then hammer it out in the morning. The small gold dental nuggets are then refined and melted down into ingots and sold back onto the market.
There are many scrap gold dealers who will buy dental scrap gold and you can browse them. One of the better well known ones is the GoldKit company. It is easy to send scrap gold to GoldKit. You simply apply for a GoldKit gold recycling pack. This is free and will be sent to you at the address you have provided in a standard business envelope. It includes three components:
- Your custom, bar-coded receipt form that tells GoldKit where to send your check and provides you with other useful information
- A thick (6mil) polymer bag to safely hold your scrap gold
- An envelope in which you can mail the receipt form and bag
All you need to do is fill out the form, put your gold items in the bag, put the form and bag in the envelope and put it in the mail. Postage and insurance are prepaid by GoldKit. If you think your gold, jewelry or other property is worth more than $100.00, it is recommended that you insure your shipment for more yourself, using any carrier you choose. Ensure that there is no reference to gold, scrap gold or any other precious metal on the envelope, however.
It is important to remember that the scrap gold price GoldKit pays for your scrap gold does not reflect retail prices. It will, rather, reflect the price of the gold in the items. GoldKit state that they pay by weight, the more gold the more they will pay. If for any reason you are not happy with their payment for your recycled gold material, you are invited to receive your material back insured at GoldKit’s expense. They simply ask that you return their check pursuant to the terms of the GoldKitâ„¢ Guarantee.
However, if you would like to earn money by investing in dental gold, follow these steps to learn how and where to buy it:
- Check with other gold buyers in your area to find out how much they are paying for dental gold. This allows you to set a price that is competitive for your local area while still allowing you room for profit.
- Contact dentists in your area. Sometimes people who have dental work replaced will leave their old crowns, flats and caps behind. This allows dentists to accumulate a supply of scrap dental gold that they will sell. It is also worthwhile to tell them you will pay them a referral fee for clients who keep their old dental gold.
- Place an advertisement in your local newspaper’s “Want to Buy” classified advertisments section.
- Post an advertisement on the craigslist website, a popular forum that is sorted geographically. This means you can post an advertisement that targets the cities closest to your location. It is like a classified ad in a newspaper but is free.
- Monitor online auction sites such as ebay.com, where people sometimes sell dental gold. The key bits of information to watch are many grams the gold weighs and how pure it is. Dental gold can range from 10-karat to 18-karat, although 16-karat seems to be the most common. When you go to the online auction site, search for â€œdental goldâ€ and â€œscrap goldâ€ to see what you can find.
Once upon a time one might have said, ‘thereâ€™s gold in them thar hills’, but now with dental scrap gold around it is ‘there is gold in them thar mouths’.