A partial denture consists of the following parts:
- Major connector-the main body of a denture which provides rigidity and unites all the parts of the denture
- Minor connector-connects all other parts of a denture to the major connector
- Denture base-the part that is adapted to the soft tissues in the region of missing teeth and will be used to support the fake teeth.
- Artificial teeth– replace missing teeth
- Direct retainer-parts of the denture that prevents the denture from dropping out of the mouth. Clasps are often used as a direct retainer.
- Indirect retainer-parts of the denture that prevents the denture from rocking or shifting sideways or rotating during eating or talking, eg: rests.
We will be focusing on rests in this article.