Whitening dental products and professional whitening treatments can usually guarantee you a satisfactory result. However, these products and treatments can also cost you a fortune. In this article, I would like to share with you a few home remedies that can be used to whiten your teeth.
(Please consult a dentist or physician before starting any of these home remedies)
One of the most popular home remedies for whitening teeth is through the use of strawberries. Strawberries contain malic acid, which is an astringent that helps to remove stains naturally.
Besides that, strawberries can also stimulate saliva production, which is beneficial for xerostomia/dry mouth patients. You can also find malic acid in fruits such as grapes, apples, cherries and etc.
How to whiten your teeth using strawberries
1) Crush a strawberry and mix it with ½ spoon of baking soda.
2) Leave the mixture on your teeth for 5 minutes then brush off using fluoridated toothpaste. (You can floss to remove excess strawberry seeds which are left on your teeth.)
1) Cut a strawberry into half and hold it by its skin.
2) Rub the strawberry all over your teeth and leave it for 5 minutes, then brush off using a toothbrush.
Charcoal and wood ash
Another home remedy for teeth whitening is to use natural activated charcoal. Natural activated charcoal can be purchased through pharmacies/drug stores. We can also use wood ash as another alternative to charcoal. Wood ash contains potassium hydroxide, which has bleaching ability that can whiten your teeth.
How to whiten your teeth using natural activated charcoal
- Rub a wet toothbrush on a piece of charcoal. (to get the charcoal powder)
- Dip the bristles in baking soda and wet them with water.
- Followed by brushing the mixture on your teeth.
- Then, you can now rinse and brush your teeth with toothpaste.
Since decades, baking soda has been used as a teeth cleaning agent. Baking soda is also known as sodium bicarbonate.
Action of sodium bicarbonate/baking soda:
Sodium bicarbonate releases free radicals when they are dissolved in water. These free radicals will interact and break down brown stains on teeth which are built up from food and drinks.
How to whiten your teeth using baking soda
1) Place dam toothbrush into baking soda.
2) Brush for 2 minutes.
3) Rinse your mouth with water.
Other tips for whiter teeth:
1) Watch what you eat and drink.
Certain food and beverages can leave stain on our teeth such as coffee, tea, wines, berries and etc. If you cannot cut these food from your diet, just make sure that you rinse or brush thoroughly after consuming them.
2) Stop smoking.
Cigarettes contain certain amount of nicotine which not only cause addiction but also leave your teeth with heavy brown stains. You can only remove these stains by undergoing professional cleaning treatment and they can reappear quickly if you continue to smoke.
3) Avoid drugs that can stain your teeth
Certain medications such as tetracycline can cause intrinsic stains on teeth. These stains are permanent and cannot be removed by professional scaling. So, it is recommended that you should stay away from them to avoid horrible stains on your teeth.
If you’re really concerned about your yellow teeth, I suggest that you should get a professional consultation from your dental surgeon.
Click here to read more about teeth whitening :
and tips for whiter teeth :