Sore tongue medically known as stomatitis is a very common symptom. Most of the doctors routinely prescribe B-complex tablets, terming it B-complex deficiency. In fact in many instances it is not so. Painful tongue is a common problem. Many of us experience a sore tongue from time to time. But what should you do about it if it affects you. Continue reading
Tag Archives: oral thrush
Dental Treatments to Avoid When You Are Pregnant Part 1
Pregnancy is a major event in any womanâ€™s life and is associated with physiological changes affecting especially the endocrine, heart and blood systems and often attitude, mood or behavior. Therefore pregnant women should take extra care during this period to avoid any circumstances that could harm their fetuses, including certain dental treatments. Continue reading
About Oral Thrush
What is oral thrush?
Oral thrush, otherwise known as acute pseudomembranous candidioasis, is the infection of mucosal tissues of the mouth by a fungus, mainly candida albicans, but it can also be caused by candida glabrata or candida tropicalis. Candida albican is one of many microorganisms that exists in your mouth, but under certain circumstance they multiply uncontrollably and become an infection. The areas involved are usually the inner sides of the cheek, the tongue, tonsils, palate and floor of the mouth. They vary in size from small drop-like areas to confluent large patches covering a wide area. Continue reading
How to differentiate milk and thrush in a baby mouth
What is thrush in general
- Thrush is an infection caused by a yeast which is a small living fungus called candida.
- Most people have candida on their skin, in their mouths (oral thrush) , in the genital regionÂ and in their gut most of the time without having any problems from it.
- Babies and young children can get thrush in the mouth and on the skin, when occurring on the skin it is called as a nappy rash.
- Breastfeeding mothers can also get thrush on their nipples, causing pain when feeding. This is often caused by the transmission of candida from the babyâ€™s mouth to the motherâ€™s nipple or the other way round.
- Women can get thrush in the vagina, with itchiness and a discharge. Continue reading
Changes in Your Mouth During Pregnancy
The female body undergoes many changes during pregnancy that include changes within the mouth. Hormonal imbalances affect the mouth by changing the bacteria already present in the mouth and altering the types of bacteria that grow in plaque. Below are the few conditions you may encounter during your pregnancy period: Continue reading